Melges 24 European Sailing Series, Hungarian opening in Trieste
Hungarian Seven_Five_Nine (today, 1-1-3) is the first leader of the second event of the Melges 24 European Sailing Series 2022, organized by the Società Triestina Sport del Mare and started under the gusts of a north-east strong enough to complete three competitive races.
The best "actor in a leading role", by reading really well the intentions of the breeze, was the crew of Akos Csolto, helmsman among the most experienced in the class, for several seasons a fixed presence of the appointments reserved for the most successful between the one design boats produced by Melges Performance Sailboats.
The Hungarian team, already in the past protagonist on Trieste race course, marked a gap of five points compared to the Germans of White Room (2-2-6): absent in Rovinj at the last moment, Michael Tarabochia's hull with Luis Tarabochia at the helm did not betray expectations, immediately distinguishing itself as one of the fastest of the fleet which, in Trieste, consists of about twenty boats, for a total of seven nations represented.
The provisional podium is completed by Sergio Caramel's Arkanoé by Montura (4-10-1) who, by winning the final race of the day, is now in front of German team Working Girl (5-6-5) of Felix Stoppenbrink by just one point and by two on Italian Melgina (3 -12-2), Paolo Brescia's team reigning champion of the Melges 24 European Sailing Series.
It should be emphasized that the first four crews in the overall ranking are all Corinthians (made up of non-professional sailors) demonstrating the balance of the Melges 24 class, considered a reference monotype by the international sailing movement.
Tomorrow, in the face of weather conditions similar to those of today, three more races are planned. The Event Two of the Melges 24 European Sailing Series 2022 will end on Sunday afternoon: the awarding ceremony will be held at the headquarters of the Società Triestina Sport del Mare.
Provisional ranking after three races
1. SEVEN_FIVE_NINE HUN759 (COR) - Ákos Csoltó - 1-1-3 5 pts
2. WHITE ROOM GER677 (COR) - Michael Tarabochia - 2-2-6 10 pts
3. ARKANOE BY MONTURA ITA809 (COR) - Sergio Caramel - 4-10-1 15 pts
4. WORKING GIRL GER (COR) - Felix Stoppenbrink - 5-6-5 16 pts
5. MELGINA ITA693 - Paolo Brescia - 3-12-2 17 pts
6. GILLES ITA793 - Marcello Caldonazzo Arvedi - 6-8-9 23 pts
7. MARAMEO ITA590 (COR) - Marco Cali - 13-5-8 26 pts
8. FOREVER G ITA501 (COR) - Mirco Pittarello - 11-15-4 30 pts
9. ALEALI EUROCART ITA139 (COR) - Claudio Gardossi - 7-16-7 30 pts
10. SKORPIOS ITA454 (COR) - Masoli Venuti - 16-3-13 32 pts
2022 Melges 24 European Sailing Series is scheduled with 6 events:
April 1-3 - Rovinj, CRO
April 29 - May 1 - Trieste, ITA
May 27-29 - Attersee, AUT
July 22-24 - Riva del Garda, ITA
September 23-25 - Imperia, ITA
October 22-29 - Genova, ITA - Melges 24 European Championship