AP Flag over A © Laura G. Guerra/PalmaVela

No Racing today on the 2nd day of the PalmaVela due to strong winds

Sport

31/10/2021 - 19:20
advertising

Strong winds on the Bay of Palma today have put paid to racing on the second day of the 17th PalmaVela regatta. Although there were a series of postponements up until the planned race start time of 1300hrs, the PRO made the decision to cancel racing for the day. The forecast looks better for Sunday which is scheduled to be the third and final day of competition. 

The PalmaVela's Director Manu Fraga commented "Already this morning we could see this might happen, the forecast was bad with a lot of wind and it was also already well established having blown. We have had several teams in the water looking at the conditions in the three race courses that have reported quite extreme conditions so the organization has preferred to prioritize safety rather than force a situation that could be complicated. Tomorrow racing will start one hour before planned, that is, at 1100 hrs. In principle we believe that conditions improve a lot tomorrow so that we will be able to race and finish PalmaVela with a decent program of races."

The ten strong TP52 fleet had little enthusiasm to go afloat considering the conditions and the fact their Rolex TP52 World Championships start here on Tuesday. "We are happy not to race today given the conditions." Said Dirk de Ridder, mainsheet trimmer on Platoon, the defending world champions. 

Marc Blees of Code Zero has been hard at work making his chartered TP52 ready to go racing and was disappointed that the windstrength looked to be too much to get out and practice. "We will wait and see if the wind drops and maybe go out later if we can as we need some time to practice." Said the Dutch Code Zero supremo. 

advertising
PREVIOS POST
McIntyre Adventure Globe 5.80 transat start delayed to monday 1st nov
NEXT POST
Comanche confirmed as overall winner of Rolex Middle Sea Race